Sunday 6 October 2013

Who Am I?

I guess I should have created this post first, but oh well!

Welcome to my blog!

Here is a little bit about me:

My name is Carrie Annable. I live in Hamilton, ON. I just started my 12th year of teaching (11th at my current school). I have taught anywhere from grade 6- grade 11 math, but am currently teaching grade 8 math. My main goal is to convince my students that math can be awesome! I try to make math as fun as I can, although this is always a continual work in progress. A few years back, I completed my M.Ed. from Nipissing University. My thesis examined what it was like to teach grade 6 students math using  problem solving based approach. Last June, I received my Ph.D. from University of Toronto. My thesis examined how laptops were changing the landscape of mathematics teaching and learning.

I recently joined twitter and can be found there by the name @CarrieAnnable.

At my school I am in charge of the Middle School Math Program. I also co-chair a committee that I co-created with my colleague, Ryan Baker. This committee gives teachers at my school a place to learn from each other, discuss current trends in education, take part in action research and ultimately become leaders in pushing the boundaries of education.



Me at my graduation

Look at the cake my awesome colleagues got for me!

Me and my awesome dog Mollie! She loves math too :)

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE that you created a committee to help out new teachers! Every district should have this! We have mentor teachers, but many of them are jaded and awful and want a place to talk about how much they hate the kids.

    I love that you've been joining our #MSMathChat and I'm so happy to have you as part of #MTBoS!

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Justin! This committee is not just for new teachers, but for anyone that wants to come. It is a great place to talk about education, support one another, and push the boundaries of what we do in our classrooms. I am so glad to have created it as our meetings are so energizing and inspiring.

      I am happy to take part in #MSMathChat and to be a part of the #MTBoS!

      Delete
  2. I love the idea of a committee for new teachers. It must be a large school. In central Nebraska there are many schools with only 1 or 2 math teachers in the middle and high school (there are a few larger schools too). I started a Math Teachers' Circle to try and connect teachers in the area. Not as many attend as I would like, but I keep supporting it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading. The committee is actually for any teacher that wants to join. My school is a JK-Grade 12 school so there are a fair amount of teachers. The committee is for teachers of all disciplines, not just math. It is a great way to learn from others and expand your horizons. I just found out about Math Teachers' Circles and would love to take part in one. Keep going with it as even a few like minds can do great things! I know what it is like to work in a small department and that is why I have found the #MTBoS so wonderful!

      Delete
  3. Wow that committee sounds like a terrific idea, I'd certainly like to hear more about that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for reading! Perhaps I will blog more about the committee and what we do. It is awesome! It is amazing because we meet on a Friday afterschool (they only time we can) and yet we are still eager to meet and feel so energized afterwards.

    ReplyDelete